The first model of the Summer of Painting is Complete!
I put aside the CORE temporarily while I get back to work on my Seraphon for a short while. These have become somewhat a more urgent due to the fact that I'm playing in an Age of Sigmar Skirmish event here in the city called Thunda' on the Tundra. While most of my Seraphon are complete, the event will be played campaign-style, and you can expand your force as the games go on. My goal for the Tournament on Sunday was to get the Saurus Oldblood complete, as well as 8 of my Saurus Knights.
Looks like I just have the Knights to do now.
To begin with, I followed my general template for the skin tones on all my Saurus & Skinks.
A basecoat of Macragge Blue followed up by a wash with Drakenhof Nightshade.
Follow that up with a drybrush of Sotek Green, all across the model.
Finally, do a second, lighter drybrush of Temple Guard Blue over the rest of the skin. I then take more Drakenhof nightshade and layer it over the scaled areas, to create the darker patches around there.
Next step was to do the Shield. I followed the same steps that I took for the shields on my Saurus Warriors. First step is to start with a basecoat of Mephiston Red......
... and follow that up with an Agrax Earthshade wash. Then follow that up with a (very light) drybrush of Evil Sunz Scarlet.
I then wanted to go ahead and get the eyes done, as I didn't want to have too much around them complete beforehand in case I made a huge mess of things. The eyes are a base of Averland Sunset, a highlight of Flash Gitz Yellow near the center, and finally an Abaddon Black pupil running just off center, towards the front of the face.
The next step was all the Gold for the model. I've done the gold for my Seraphon in two steps. The first is to do a basecoat of Retributor Armor. That gold is one of the best metallics that Citadel makes. It covers really easily. I then follow it up with a wash of Reikland Fleshshade, which gives the gold a really nice finish.
I then quickly got the tongue done before I started the teeth and the rest of the "bone-colored" items. The tongue is just a basecoat of Bugman's Glow followed up by a wash of Carroburg Crimson.
It was around this time that I was nearing the end of the model that I started taking fewer photos and instead focused on getting the model completed. As such, there's a lot of stuff going on in each photo, so I'll do my best to remember everything that has changed in each picture.
I started working on the base before starting the bone-colored parts, as I didn't want to be ruining the claws as I was trying to paint he base. The stone parts of the base were fairly simple. They are a drybrush of Mechanicus Standard Grey followed up by a lighter drybrush of Dawnstone. This is the technique for all the stone in my Seraphon forces, and I really like the final look of it.
I then did a basecoat of Steel Legion Drab on the surface of the base. Normally I'd lay sand over the base but this time, as the base was pre-textured, I didn't really need to do that. Instead I just layed a wash of Agrax Earthshade over the basecoat and it seemed to shade things quite nicely. I also took the opportunity while working on the base to neaten up the edges of the base with Abaddon Black.
I then moved onto the basecoat for all the bone-coloured items. This started with a basecoat of Zandri Dust over the skulls he's wearing, the spikes coming out of his back, his teeth, and the claws on each foot.
That was quickly followed up with a wash of Seraphim Sepia, and a drybrush of Ushabti Bone. Once all the bone was complete, I moved on to the leather straps holding the armor (or other decorative items) onto him. That was just a basecoat of Steel Legion Drab followed by an Agrax Earthshade wash.
I then did the gemstones that were the part of his armour. This was honestly my first attempt at doing Gemstones, ever.
|The most helpful diagram, ever. Found here|
After that all that was left to do was cleanup! touching up areas where colors had gotten on to parts they weren't supposed to be on, etc. I have Army Builder Jungle Tufts on the bases of most of my Seraphon, so I found a place to work one of them in here too.
And that's that! I'm off to start work on some Saurus Cavalry now, so you'll probably be hearing from me again later this week.
I leave you off with two more lightbox pictures of the finished model, in all his Saurian glory.